Tax Filing

If you were in the U.S., last year, on anything other than a B visa or visa waiver, you are likely expected to file a simple tax statement (8843) with the U.S. federal tax authority (IRS). If, in addition, you received U.S.-source income, you are also expected to file tax returns (1040NR,1040NR-EZ, 1040, or 1040EZ) with:

  • the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) 
  • the Commonwealth of Massachusetts (in some cases)

For more information, see IRS Publication 519 and the Massachusetts Department of Revenue (MassDOR) website, respectively.

The Harvard International Office (HIO) offers access to free tax filing software and can provide general tax filing information to individuals on Harvard sponsored visas. Unfortunately, neither our office nor any other at Harvard can provide tax filing advice. The HIO has contacts to professionals tax preparers that may be available to further assist you, for a fee. Please visit their website if you’re unsure of how to proceed:

Traffic lights in Harvard Square



The information contained within this website is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, tax, legal or accounting advice.  All information in this site is provided "as is", with no guarantee of completeness, accuracy, timeliness or of the results obtained from the use of this information, and without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to warranties of performance and fitness for a particular purpose.